Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Bittersweet--My Grandparent's Furniture

First the bitter.  The decision was made to liquidate my grandparents house.  Grandpa died several years ago and Grandma is in a nursing home.  She is 103 and still going strong.  She goes to physical therapy twice a day and still has a very remarkable memory.  The bitter part is that she will never return to her home because it is not the best place for her and she feels very safe and comfortable there.

The sweet.  I was fortunate enough to acquire their bedroom set and dining table.  I wanted the furniture because I couldn't bear the thought of someone outside the family getting it, or having the pieces altered or split up.  The furniture is well made of oak and veneered in tiger wood and another very pretty wood that I don't know the name of yet.  I cleaned and polished everything and the luster is gorgeous. 

Yesterday my son and his friend moved the furniture into my house and then endured my wishes and rearranged the bedroom twice before I was happy.  Finally everything was in place. 

The only thing wrong with the bedroom set was the nightstand.  It was missing the pull and the medallion that was there.  This morning my husband pulled the drawer out looking for a manufacture's mark to see if we could trace somewhere to get a replacement for the medallion.  I noticed some of Grandpa's handkerchiefs.  In the middle of them was the missing pieces of the handle.  I'm taking this as a sign from Grandpa that he is okay with me having the furniture.

Blessings to all.

Question of the Day:

If you could have anything from your grandparent's house what would you want?

Have a great adventure today.

3 comments:

  1. since I never knew my grandparents, I think I'd like a photograph of them together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just one thing? Well if it's available I'd love to have any photographs, journals, or vital documents. This is the history of our family and all too often they are thrown out when settling an estate. I'm always anxious that these things will be lost when I lose an elderly family member. If this was a given to be preserved (I can hope!) then I would want something crafted by that person's own hands, preferably something that will last long enough for me to pass on to my own grandchildren or great-grandchildren.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had the beautiful antique painting of a distant, 19th-century, female relative in England. It shows her driving a carriage pulled by two high-stepping horses. As a child, I was intrigued by this big painting that hung over the fireplace, because on close inspection you could see the artist made a mistake. One horse only has three legs. But it was a beautiful painting nonetheless. I think my mom ended up with it when Grandma passed.

    ReplyDelete